Bake with Annie live here!
Recipe courtesy of Food Network and Sally’s Baking Addiction
3 sticks, softened butter
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2 ½ cups sugar
1/3 cup sour cream, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
6 eggs, room temperature
3 cups cake flour*
½ tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
vanilla ice cream
*Cake flour substitute: Use 3 cups AP flour, remove 6 tbsp,
add in 6 tbsp cornstarch
**This recipe will make one 10-12 cup bundt cake or 2 loaves. To make one loaf, just halve the ingredients.
BAKE TIME: About 75 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Generously grease a 10-12 cup bundt pan or two loaf pans with butter or nonstick spray.
2. Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle or whisk attachment, beat the butter on high speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the cream cheese and beat on high speed until completely smooth and combined, about 1 minute. Add the sugar and beat on high speed until combined, about 1 minute, then add the sour cream and vanilla and beat on high speed until combined and creamy. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
3. On low speed, beat the eggs in 1 at a time allowing each to fully mix in before adding the next. Careful not to overmix after the eggs have been added. Once the 6th egg is combined, stop the mixer and add the cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat on medium speed *just* until combined. Do not overmix. Using a rubber spatula or sturdy whisk, give the batter a final turn to make sure there are no lumps at the bottom of the bowl. The batter will be a little thick and very creamy.
4. Pour/spoon batter evenly into prepared pan. Bang the pan on the counter once or twice to bring up any air bubbles. Bake for 75-95 minutes. Loosely tent the baking cake with aluminum foil halfway through bake time to ensure the surface does not over-brown. The key to pound cake is a slow and low bake time. Use a toothpick to test for doneness. Once it comes out completely clean, the pound cake is done. This is a large heavy cake so don’t be alarmed if it takes longer in your oven. If it needs longer, bake longer.
5. Remove cake from the oven and allow to cool for 2 hours inside the pan. Then invert the slightly cooled pound cake onto a wire rack or serving dish. Allow to cool completely.
6. Slice into sandwich slices. Fill the middle with vanilla ice cream and roll edges in sprinkles.