This recipe goes way back in my archives, 2011 to be exact. I was struck with a memory of this recipe the week after Thanksgiving when I still had leftover cranberry sauce. I was a young, new mom experimenting in the kitchen and pretty much trying anything Rachel Ray suggested. This one is still a winner!
Turkey Meatballs with Cran-Applesauce
- 1 cup dried stuffing cubes
- 1/2-3/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/4 lbs ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp grated onion
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
Cran-Apple Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1 cup no sugar added applesauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 425F. Place a rack on a large baking sheet. Using a food processor, grind the stuffing cubes into crumbs then transfer to a small bowl. Douse the stuffing with the stock to soften. (Dont clean out the food processor; set aside.)
- Drizzle the olive oil into a large bowl. Add the turkey; season with salt and pepper. Mix in the moist stuffing crumbs, the egg, onion, garlic, poultry seasoning, fennel seeds and crushed red pepper.
- Roll the meat into 1 1/2-inch to 2-inch balls. Arrange on the prepared baking sheet and roast until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine all of the dipping sauce ingredients. Serve with meatballs.
- Serve with couscous if preparing as an entree.