Penne alla vodka feels special but is simple enough for an everyday meal. It’s a little creamy and slightly spicy, with Vodka acting as a great emulsifier.
Penne Alla Vodka
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced or 1/4 onion, minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup vodka
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Generous pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- Grated parmesan for serving
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Saute garlic and onions in butter and olive oil over medium heat until soft.
- Take pan off open flame, pour in vodka. Place back over flame, cook and reduce for 2-3 minutes. Then pour in tomato puree. Stir until thoroughly combined, reduce heat to low.
- Pour in heavy cream. Stir to combine, then turn heat to lowest simmer possible. Sprinkle in red pepper flakes and then salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the drained pasta into the sauce and toss to combine. Sprinkle with parmesan and more red pepper flakes if desired.