This creamy shrimp and gnocchi recipe is sweet, spicy, and a perfect comfort dinner idea. The best part? It’s super easy to make with luxurious results!
Hot Honey Shrimp and Gnocchi
- 16 oz gnocchi
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp butter, divided
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp hot honey sauce
- 1 tbsp flour (heaping)
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh parsley, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the gnocchi: Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add the gnocchi and cook until they float to the top. Drain and rinse thoroughly with water to keep them from sticking.
- Fry the shrimp: Pat the shrimp dry and season them with garlic pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wide pot over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add 2 tablespoons butter. As soon as the butter is melted and bubbly, add the shrimp and arrange them into an even layer. Fry without moving for 3 minutes. Flip and cook 1–2 minutes more. Do not overcook! It’s alright if the shrimp aren’t all perfectly opaque. Transfer them to a large bowl.
- Prepare the sauce: Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter into the pot. Adjust the heat to medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, for 8–10 minutes until it begins to brown around the edges and soften completely. Add Hot Honey sauce and stir to coat the onions. Add the flour and stir to coat. Cook for 1–2 minutes.
- Simmer the sauce: Slowly stir in the broth or water. Continue stirring until completely smooth. Once the liquid begins to bubble, stir in the cream and parmesan. Taste and season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of red pepper flakes if you like. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Finish the shrimp and gnocchi: Stir in the lemon juice and zest and the fresh parsley. Add the shrimp and gnocchi and let bubble in the sauce for 5 minutes just to warm the gnocchi and shrimp. Taste and season once more.
- To serve: Spoon the shrimp and gnocchi into shallow bowls. Garnish with more parsley if you like. Enjoy!