When your hubby proclaims with a mouth full of biscuit and eyes wide, “These are a keeper”, then you know. Enjoy!
Bacon (or Sausage or Ham) Layered Biscuits
- 2.5 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 8 tbsp cold, unsalted butter, cut into cubes (one stick)
- 1 cup buttermilk, plus more for brushing (make your own in notes)
- Diced bacon, pre-cooked breakfast sausage, or ham
- Optional: 1 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degreesF and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
- Pulse the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a food processor until combined. Add the butter (and 1/2 cup of the cheese if using) and pulse until the mixture looks like coarse meal with pea-size bits of butter remaining. Add the buttermilk and pulse a few times, until the dough just comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a worksurface that’s lightly dusted with flour, then pat into a 7-by-7-inch squarethat's about 1 inch thick. Scatter half of the protein and 1/4 cup of the cheese (if using) on half of the dough, then fold the other half of dough over like a book; gently pinch the edges to seal like a calzone. Pat the dough out again into a 7-by-7-inch square, scatter the remaining protein and 1/4 cup of cheese on top and fold the dough over like a book. Press once more into a 7-by-7-inch square.
- Use a sharp chef’s knife cut the dough into 8-12 even rectangular pieces. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and brush the tops of each piece with additional buttermilk. Bake until the biscuits are puffed and well browned, 18 to 20 minutes.