Bake with Annie live here!
Recipe Courtesy of America’s Test Kitchen
Vegetable Oil Spray
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground nutmeg (or cinnamon)
½ cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk and 1 tbsp white vinegar or 1 tbsp lemon juice)
4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp cinnamon
½ cup sugar
16 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1 cup Nutella
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup powdered sugar
1. For the doughnuts: Adjust oven rake to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 24-cup mini muffin tin with vegetable oil spray.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, corn starch, baking powder, salt, nutmeg (or cinnamon), and ½ cup sugar.
3. In a large bowl, whisk buttermilk, 4 tbsp melted butter, egg, and egg yolk until well combined. To make your own buttermilk: combine 1 cup milk with 1 tbsp lemon juice or white vinegar. Let sit for 5 minutes.
4. Add flour mixture and use rubber spatula to stir until just combined and no dry flour is visible. Do not overmix.
5. Spray 1 tbsp measuring spoon with vegetable oil spray. Use greased measuring spoon to scoop 1 tbsp batter into each muffin tin cup. Or use a 1 tbsp cookie scoop.
6. Place muffin tin in oven. Bake until toothpick inserted in center of 1 doughnut hole comes out clean, about 10 minutes.
7. Use oven mitts to remove muffin tin from oven. Place muffin tin on cooling rack and let doughnut holes cool in muffin tin for 10 minutes.
8. For the topping: In small microwave safe bowl, melt remaining 4 tbsp butter. In second medium bowl, use clean rubber spatula to stir together cinnamon and ½ cup sugar.
9. Carefully remove doughnut holes from muffin tin and transfer directly to cooling rack. Place cooling rack in a rimmed baking sheet. Use pastry brush to paint doughnut holes all over with melted butter. Then roll each doughnut hole in cinnamon sugar to coat all over.
10. Nutella Frosting: In a bowl or stand mixer, combine softened butter, Nutella, cocoa, vanilla, and salt. Lock bowl into place and attach paddle to stand mixer, if using. Start mixer on medium speed and beat until smooth, about 1 minute. Stop mixer. Use rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Start mixer on low speed. Slowly add sugar, a little bit at a time, and beat until smooth, about 4 minutes. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until frosting is light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Stop mixer. Frost doughnuts.