Sweet Annie’s Virtual Kids Cooking: Shredded Chicken Tacos and Guacamole
Bake with Annie live here!
Recipe Courtesy of America’s Test Kitchen
2 tbsp vegetable oil
4 garlic cloves
½ tsp chili powder
¼ tsp salt
½ cup orange juice
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut in half lengthwise
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
8 flour or corn tortilla
3 ripe avocados
½ tsp salt
1 plum tomato, chopped
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 scallion, thinly sliced
COOK TIME: About 30 minutes
1. In 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat for 1 minute (oil should be hot but not smoking). Use wooden spoon to stir in garlic, chili powder, and salt and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in orange juice and Worcestershire sauce.
2. Use tongs to carefully place chicken in skillet. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 4 minutes.
3. Use oven mitts to remove lid. Use clean tongs to flip chicken pieces over. Cover and simmer until chicken registers 165 degrees on instant-read thermometer, 4-6 minutes. Use chicken tongs to transfer tongs to large plate.
4. Cook liquid left in skillet until thickened, 3-5 minutes. Turn off heat and slide skillet to cool burner.
5. Use 2 forks to shred chicken into bite-size pieces. Return shredded chicken to skillet and stir to coat with sauce.
6. Heat chicken over medium heat until warmed through, 1-2 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in cilantro. Cover to keep warm.
7. Stack tortillas on microwave-safe plate and cover with damp dish towel. Heat in microwave until warm, about 1 minute. Serve chicken in warmed tortillas with your favorite toppings.
8. Guacamole: Use butter knife to cut avocado around pit. With your hands, twist both halves in opposite directions to separate. Use soup spoon to scoop out pit. Scoop avocado from skins into medium bowl; discard pits and skins. Use grater or zester to grate ¼ tsp lime zest. Add zest to bowl with avocados. Use chef’s knife to cut lime in half and squeeze juice into bowl with avocados. Add salt to bowl. Use sturdy whisk to break avocado into large pieces. Gently stir mixture to combine, leaving some large chunks of avocado. Gently tap whisk on rim of bowl to remove any stuck avocado pieces and remove whisk from bowl. Add tomato, cilantro, and scallion to avocado mixture and use rubber spatula to gently stir together.