Cook with Annie live here!
1 ½ cups self-rising flour*
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp poppy seeds
¾ cup milk
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup vegetable oil or canola oil
2/3 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp lemon zest
2 tsp lemon juice
lemon jelly slices (optional)
*To make your own self-rising flour, combine 1 cup of all-purpose flour with 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
BAKE TIME: About 25 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin pan with 8 muffin liners.
2. Juice and grate one lemon and retain the juice. Add the zest to a bowl
with the flour, baking soda, salt, sugar, and poppy seeds.
3. Beat the milk, egg, oil, and lemon juice in a bowl, then pour the wet
ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined.
4. Spoon into the liners and cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until well
risen. Let cool for a few minutes.
5. Once the muffins have cooler, make the icing and drizzle it over the
muffins. Top with a lemon gummy slice.