A “gratin” can refer to almost anything covered with breadcrumbs or cheese. This is a quick cheesy stovetop creamed spinach base with lots of browned bubbly cheese on top. I was able to make this the morning of our Easter dinner celebration and just pop it in the oven to brown and melt the top that night.
Spinach Au Gratin
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/8 tsp salt and pepper
- 20 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup Gouda cheese shredded, divided
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese shredded, divided
- 1 tbsp Panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Add butter, onion and garlic powder, and cream to a pan and cook on medium-low heat until warmed and melted together.
- Stir in cream cheese and salt/pepper until smooth. Simmer 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and stir in ¼ cup Gouda and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Add spinach to mixture.
- Spread spinach mixture into a 1 2-qt baking dish. Top with remaining cheese and bread crumbs. Bake 15-20 minutes or until heated through.