This was restaurant good! But don’t skip on the browning and sautéing before letting it slow cook!
Slow Cooker Beef Ragu
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 lb chuck roast
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 28 oz whole peeled tomatoes
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Parmesan and fresh parsley, for serving
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Season chuck roast with salt and pepper and sear until browned on all sides, 10 minutes. Remove into a large bowl.
- Heat remaining oil, still over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, 6 minutes. Add garlic, fennel seeds, and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
- Add tomato paste and cook until it is darkened in color, 1 to 2 minutes more. Deglaze pot with wine, scraping any brown bits up at the bottom of your pot with a wooden spoon.
- Add whole peeled tomatoes, water, thyme, bay leaf, balsamic vinegar, and seared pot roast and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until meat easily shreds, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. If using a slow cooker then slow cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Use a wooden spoon to break up tomatoes and meat, and remove bay leaf. Serve over your favorite pasta or polenta. Top with parmesan and parsley before serving.