Annie said this was better than Olive Garden and I’m not sure how to take that compliment, LOL
I know to her that meant it was really good, but to me? Of course it is! And so super easy!
- kosher salt
- 16 oz fettuccini
- Olive oil, for tossing
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 pinches nutmeg
- 1.5 cups freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and salt generously. Add the pasta, and boil according to package directions until al dente, tender but still slightly firm. Strain, and toss with a splash of oil.
- Meanwhile, arrange the shrimp in a single layer on a large pie pan or paper plate, and pat them with a paper towel until completely dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and add 2 tablespoons of the butter. When the butter melts, raise the heat to medium-high, and invert the plate of shrimp over the skillet so the shrimp fall into the pan all at once. Cook the shrimp, without moving them, until the underside is pink, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip the shrimp, and cook until fully pink and cooked through, about 2 minutes more. Transfer the shrimp to a bowl.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and add the remaining 6 tablespoons butter. Scrape the bottom of the skillet with a wooden spoon to release any browned bits. When the butter has mostly melted, whisk in the cream and nutmeg and bring to a simmer, then cook for 2 minutes. Lower the heat to keep the sauce warm.
- Whisk the Parmigiano-Reggiano into the sauce. Add the shrimp and cooked pasta, and toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot in heated bowls.